Best Towed Vehicle Braking System: Don’t Compromise on Safety
How We Decided
这se towed vehicle braking systems will prevent strain on your primary brakes, reduce your stopping distance, and ensure your whole adventure is highway-safe. Read on for our ultimate guide to toad brakes so you can choose the right one for your vehicle.
A progressive braking system that can be installed out of sight and works in towed vehicles with vacuum brakes.
Convenient, one-time installation. Drip-charges your tow battery as you drive. Operates safely in all road conditions and elevations.
Easily affordable, yet still perfectly capable of handling short stopping distances and adverse conditions. Relatively simple installation.
Universal braking system that works in all vehicles. Fully electric, with a lifetime battery included. Monitors brake pressure while towing.
Why Trust Us
- Protect your brakes.In addition to wreaking havoc on your stopping distance, towing a vehicle that doesn’t have a braking system will put intense strain on your vehicle’s brakes. This will cause the pads to wear through sooner, and need to be replaced more often.
- 遵守法律。Check your state’s regulations: Vehicles towing a certain weight (most commonly 3,000 pounds) are almost always required to have a brake installed. Remember, you’ve got to follow the laws of any state you’re driving through, and your toad is required to activate its brake lights when the primary vehicle does.
Types of Towed Vehicle Braking Systems
A proportional braking system includes a device that monitors your primary brakes. This is usually either an accelerometer to measure acceleration/deceleration, or a sensor to watch how much pressure is being applied. The braking system then applies a proportional amount of pressure to the towed vehicle, so they’re both braking with the exact same intensity.
Unlike a proportional brake, a progressive brake doesn’t adjust pressure up and down. Instead, once the towed vehicle registers that the towing vehicle’s brakes have been applied, it starts applying the toad’s brakes with increasing pressure. Pressure will keep increasing as long as the main vehicle’s brake pedal is depressed, though it cuts out at a certain point to protect the towed vehicle’s brakes.
Direct braking systems are wired directly to your main vehicle’s brakes. It won’t be matching the proportion of your vehicle’s brakes—it willbeyour vehicle’s brakes. Any pressure applied to your primary brake pedal will be applied 1:1 to the towed vehicle. While direct braking systems are extremely accurate, they’re also the hardest to install, usually requiring mechanical expertise.
路长was founded in 1970 and has been building aftermarket towing products for 50 years now. They pride themselves on manufacturing all their parts at their plant in Vancouver, Washington. Some of its best-known braking systems include theBrakeMasterand theInvisibrake.
Blue Ox was purchased by Automatic Equipment in 1991, and since then has been a major player in the aftermarket towing industry. In addition to braking systems, the company manufactures tow bars, hitches, and carriers. Its products include thePatriot lineof brake systems and the阿波罗拖车。
Demco is a 70-year-old motor accessory company that started out building agricultural products. Since then, the company has diversified into recreational vehicles and produces brake systems like the空军一号,Stay-In-Play Duo， 和Delta Force.
Towed Vehicle Braking System Pricing
- 20美元以下：This is the range for cheap accessories, such as wiring kits, breakaway switches, and mounting aids.
- $20 to $100:在此范围内，您将找到已经具有内置制动系统的拖车车辆的数字控制器。您还可以找到更好地建造的名牌配件。
- $100 to $400:This range includes items designed to work with towed vehicle braking systems, such as breakaway systems for Brakemasters, and replacement wires for Blue Ox or Demco models.
- Over $400:几乎所有用于拖车的制动系统都会落入此范围内。
还应该有某种治疗该反应的机制。蟾蜍制动器应始终准备好如果需要，可以提供大量的停止功率，因此它们可以在没有驾驶员输入的情况下自行提高制动压力 - 并降低它，以避免紧张蟾蜍的制动器。
An important feature of towed vehicle braking systems is the ability to monitor how they’re working while driving the primary vehicle using a dashboard alert or other sign. RVers should know at all times whether your toad’s brakes are active, and how much pressure they’re applying. They should also connect to your tow vehicle’s brake lights.
- 便携式与非便携式。This is the major division in braking systems for towed vehicles. Non-portable systems like the Demco Air Force One are installed in one vehicle, and cannot be taken out and reused. Portable systems can be uninstalled and reinstalled in new vehicles. Portable braking systems like Brake Buddy are faster and easier to install, but you have to reinstall them every time you start driving.
- 压缩空气与液压制动器。Towed vehicle braking systems are not universal. Some require access to compressed air, which usually powers the brakes of larger, heavier vehicles. When searching for one, check to see that it works with the type of brakes built into the vehicle you’ll be towing with.
Best Towed Vehicle Braking System Reviews & Recommendations 2020
路长’s 8700 Invisibrake is a powerful braking system that is completely invisible once installed in your vehicle. Installation can be time-consuming, and requires a bit more than a layperson’s mechanical knowledge, but there are plenty of YouTube videos to help you figure it out. You can also have it done by your mechanic.
除了复杂的安装,主要的drawback of the Roadmaster 8700 Invisibrake is that it can sometimes cause wiring issues that lead to dashboard lights failing to turn on or off, especially on four-wheel drive vehicles. It’s also been occasionally known to ship without necessary parts.
Another product from Roadmaster, the 9160 Brakemaster is a proportional brake system that works with vehicles that have air brakes (not hydraulics). It senses how much braking power your tow vehicle is currently applying, and tries to match it, with the result that you barely feel the tow dragging at all.
That’s a great comfort, but we also love that this is a relatively cheap option that’s also not difficult to install. Some parts, like the emergency brake reservoir, can cause headaches, but you shouldn’t need to go to a garage for this. And despite the low price, the 9160 Brakemaster helps you maintain an excellent stopping distance.
While we like almost everything about this braking system, we want to note that problems with it can be expensive: Leaks almost always require a trained mechanic to fix, and cylinder failures can be unserviceable, requiring you to replace the whole unit.
Blue Ox’s Patriot 3 has the honor of being the only towed vehicle braking system that works in all vehicles, including hybrids and all-electrics. It’s extremely easy to install. The one slightly difficult step is hooking up the breakaway switch, but the instructions are clear, and you only have to do it once.
- “拖车，”蟾蜍“，”蟾蜍“和”dinghy“一切都意味着同样的事情 - 一辆工作车辆被拖到另一个。
- If your state doesn’t have a supplemental brake requirement, don’t assume you’re off the hook. You might still be required to maintain a certain stopping distance, which almost always requires a toad braking system anyway.
A:Forty states and D.C. specify weight limits above which a towed vehicle has to have a supplemental braking system. Three states (ND, PA, and NJ) require braking systems no matter what, and another six (NH, KY, KS, UT, WY, and OR) require a certain stopping distance.
A:Legal limits almost always measure the weight of the vehicle being towed, irrespective of the size of the one doing the towing. Even if you’re using a motorhome to tow, it’s the size of the toad that counts.
A:If your towed vehicle brake system is non-portable or permanent, you’ll only have to install it once. It can take more specialized knowledge, but it saves you a ton of time on each drive—unlike a Brake Buddy or other portable system, which you’ll have to reinstall every time.
这路长8700 Invisibrake Hidden Power Braking System是我们的首选拖车辆制动系统em. It’s tricky to install, but more than worth it.
为了更好的价值，与路长9160 Brakemaster Towed Car Braking System，这易于使用并具有强大的停止功率。