Remove old grease and other contaminants with these bike chain cleaners
驱动器and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.Read more。
PUBLISHED ON November 5, 2019
A buildup of dirt on your bike’s chain system can make it perform significantly slower. You need a cleaner that can get rid of the grime so that the chain can keep the gears spinning and wheels turning faster. Below are some of the best chain cleaners that you should consider for your tool kit.
Bio-based—made with natural compounds. Removes grime and grease easily. Environmentally safe.
A powerful yet natural solvent that removes grease, dirt, and grime from your drive train components. Dissolves contamination and grease buildup. Sprayer goes deep into greasy parts.
It doesn’t work too well on off-roading mountain bikes. Feels sticky. Messy application.
A biodegradable and solvent-free formula that cleans and degreases the chain system.
Removes dirt, oil, grime, and other stubborn stains. It doesn’t damage bike finishes. Has a convenient spray applicator. Reduces wear and damage to the chain and gear components. Prevents corrosion.
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of a Bike Chain Cleaner
- Smooth gear changes.Dirt buildup may cause a lot of friction in the chain system, and that could interfere with gear changes. Use a cleaner to remove all the dirt and grime clogging the chain system for faster and easier gear changes.
- Easy to use。You don’t have to take your bike to a professional to clean your chain. With a good chain cleaner fluid and a chain scrubber, you can clean it easily at your home or garage.
- 提高自行车的表现。Excess grit on the chain grinds the metal and the gears. It gradually slows down your bike, reduces its efficiency, and eventually, the chain won’t be able to latch on to the gears. A clean chain makes your bike ride faster and makes your chain last longer.
- Keep your chain in the best condition.肮脏的链易受磨损，生锈和损坏的影响。您需要更加努力踏板，可以延伸链条。使用清洁剂摆脱污垢，有些产品也可以润滑链系统以防止生锈或摩擦损坏。
- Protect other parts of your bike.使用洗涤剂清洁链条可以腐蚀你的自行车的金属和其他部分。它也可以去除涂料饰面。链清洁剂是一种更好的替代品，因为它们被配制为温和的链条，涂料和其他金属或塑料部件。
终点线was started in 1988 by Jenry Krause and is headquartered in Hauppauge, New York. It’s a global producer of bicycle lubricants, chain degreasers, cleaners, and other maintenance products for professional cyclists, mechanics, and specialty bike shops. Some of its top-rated bike chain lubricants and cleaners are the终点线1-Step Bicycle Chain Cleanerand终点线DRY Teflon Bicycle Chain Lube。
From its headquarters in Branksome, United Kingdom, Muc Off makes some of the best motorcycle and bicycle maintenance products and accessories for the global market. Some of its products include cleaners, lubricants, bike chains, pressure washers, and tubeless valves. You can try out themuc关闭黑自行车终极套件, which is an effective bike cleaning kit from Muc Off.
Bike Chain Cleaner Pricing
- Under $20:期望在这个价格范围内找到最多16盎司的链条清洁剂，以及在小型四盎司管中的粘贴清洁剂。大多数产品需要用牙刷或特殊的链式洗涤器擦拭。较贵的选择具有喷涂器，便于应用。
- Over $20:此价格范围内的大多数产品都作为清洁套件，包括链条清洁剂，清洁毛巾，刷子和任何其他特殊的自行车链清洁工具。您还可以期待找到作为一组三个或更多的链条清洁瓶。如果您只获得一个占用的单个清洁瓶，它最有可能提供许多其他保护性能，除了清洁链条。
Look at the ingredients that make up the cleaner fluid. The product should be nontoxic and offer fast action in getting rid of stains. Also, ensure that it’s safe for your bike parts. Some products clean the chain but may also remove the paint finish on the frame.
Consider the mode of application of the cleaner, since it will determine how fast you can get the job done and the penetrative power. Cleaners that feature a spray nozzle are the best, since you can get the cleaner to spread to a wide surface area with a single blast. Also, the liquid is typically less viscous and can effectively penetrate the tight spaces in the chain rivets and sprockets.
Having a fast-drying cleaner means that you won’t have to wait long before you apply the lubricant and get on the road. If you ride with a wet chain, you may waste the cleaner, since it will be flung out of the chain every time you pedal.
- Riding Conditions:If you only use your bike for road commutes or recreational rides, any cleaner will do, since you only need one that can degrease and remove light dirt. Most cleaners can achieve that function. However, if you go mountain biking or off-road cycling, you are going to need something with more degreasing power to get rid of the road grime.
- Additional Features:Prioritize a product that can perform other protective functions apart from cleaning your chain. You should look for a product that can also degrease, lubricate, remove rust, and prevent corrosion.
Best Bike Chain Cleaner Reviews & Recommendations 2021
While the formula is natural, it is also powerful. It easily breaks down grime, grease, and dirt so you can wipe them off your chain and other drivetrain parts. A stubborn buildup of grease and grime comes off easily and quickly. The dispenser has an easy-spray trigger that allows the cleaner to deeply penetrate moving parts. Using this cleaner is safe for home mechanics as well as professionals.
However, you should note that some users say it did not remove grease. Also, you’ll want to check the packaging for leaks when the product arrives.
终点线互译清洁是自行车链signed to clean and lubricate the chain system. Upon application, the cleaner pushes out dirt, grime, oil, and grease and leaves behind a lubricating film to minimize pedaling friction. It also protects against rust. What’s more, it’s water resistant and offers all-weather protection to your chain.
It’s a multipurpose cleaner that also protects your chain against corrosion caused by salt and rain. You can also use it to loosen stiff cables and old gear shifters. The fluid has low surface tension and can rigorously penetrate all parts of your bike gear system. It’s available in a drip and aerosol can and works quickly to flush out contaminants.
The product is ideal for recreational riders but may be a bit underpowered for off-roading mountain bikes or bikes that are frequently used on dusty terrain. It also feels sticky and may mess up your hands and the surrounding area.
佩德罗的猪汁链清洁剂is an Eco-friendly cleaning solution that flows easily through the tight link connections on your bike chain and crannies in the gear system. It takes minutes to break down dirt particles. You can use it to remove dirt, oil, and grime from the chain system without worrying about damaging the carbon crank arms or the bike finish.
However, the product drips off just as easily as it flows in, and you may have to reapply it after a long ride. Also, it only washes off mild stains, and you have to rub it in if you want to remove old grease and oil.
No matter what type of bike you ride, the Muc Off Bio Drivetrain Cleaner will provide a deep clean, even if your bike is filthy. You can spray it directly on the chain rings, rear cassettes, and derailleurs or use it in a chain cleaner device.
The White Lightning Clean Ride is a self-cleaning, wax-based lubricant designed for use on chains, cables, and derailleurs. It's available in eight and 32-ounce containers.
One drawback is that you have to apply this product more often than oil-based chain lubes. Also, it can wash off in the rain, so you'll have to reapply it.
- Before applying the cleaner, remove the wheel to make sure that the cleaner stays off your disc brake. Use a plastic bag to seal the brake caliper.
- Change the gears to make the chain loose so that the cleaner can flow through freely. If the chain is too tight, you won't get the dirt out of the internal parts.
- Follow up with warm, soapy water to wash off any grit left behind by the chain cleaner. Do not use non-soapy water, which can rust the chain.
- After you clean your chain, lubricate it with a wet or dry lube, depending on the weather in your region and cycling conditions.
A：The best and easiest way to clean your bike chain is to clamp it on a bike stand or flip it on the handlebars and saddle. Apply the cleaner on the chain and let it soak in for a few minutes. Then rotate the pedals with your hand while scrubbing out the dirt.
Q: Should I remove a bike chain to clean it?
A：If your chain has connection rivets, typically featured on 11- and 10-speed bikes, such chains click in place, and removing them may weaken the link. It's possible to upgrade to an aftermarket quick link chain, which typically comes with tools that allow you to snap the chain in place after removing it.
我们的顶级选择是WPL Bio-Solvent Degreaser and Cleaner。It is made from natural, biodegradable ingredients yet it is a powerful solvent.
如果你正在寻找一个更便携自行车柴n cleaner, consider the终点线1-Step Bicycle Chain Cleaner。