LAST UPDATED: September 11, 2019
Find refrigerant leaks more quickly with these automatic refrigerant leak detectors
The Review Team
How We Decided
驱动器和its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.阅读更多.
PUBLISHED ON September 11, 2019
Why Trust Us
Benefits of a Refrigerant Leak Detector
- Timesaving.There are conventional methods of detecting a leak in your HVAC system, which includes using a UV dye or soapy water. However, a UV dye can reduce the overall performance of the unit if it's not compatible with the refrigerant, and it’s time-consuming to get soapy water every time you notice a leak. On the other hand, it only takes a few seconds for an automatic refrigerant leak detector to detect the source of the problem.
- 防止HVAC系统分解。When there's a refrigerant leak, you will notice that the HVAC system takes too long to cool after attaining high temperatures or the AC unit may not be efficient at cooling a room. Eventually, the system may break down and cost you lots of money in replacements.
- Promote health and safety.在休闲车中，泄漏的制冷剂可能产生一个不舒服和不健康的生活环境。如果在温室中使用，有害气体可能会破坏植物。高质量的探测器将帮助您检测有害的制冷剂化学品，如HFC或CFC，并在适当的时间停止它们。如果您有未料的制冷剂泄漏，您也可能被EPA罚款。
Types of Refrigerant Leak Detectors
Soap and Water
Electronic leak detectors are simple, handheld devices that identify the exact location of a leak. You have to get close to the suspected leak point to get a reading from the gadget. There are Corona–Suppression detectors that use a high-voltage corona on the sensing tip to detect a leak and heated diode detectors that use heat molecules to detect leaks. Another type is ultrasonic detectors that use sound to detect a leak in the refrigerant. All these units will light up or sound an alarm if there’s a leak.
Inficon于2000年成立于2000年，在瑞士公司，欧瑞康集团的真空技术公司合并后。该公司生产具有最新技术的创新产品，其一些产品包括真空部件，真空计控制器，HVAC服务工具和泄漏探测器。如果您正在寻找R22制冷剂泄漏探测器，请尝试Inficon TEK-Mate Refrigerant Leak Detector.
Elitech是一家以伦敦的一家公司，拥有超过20年的制造制冷行业安全设备经验。这是一家创新公司，目前拥有80项授权专利，拥有30项软件专利。其一些产品包括压力表，空气质量探测器，电子制冷剂秤，温度控制器和气体泄漏探测器。其高质量制冷剂泄漏探测器传感器之一是个Elitech ILD Advanced Refrigerant Leak Detector.
Refrigerant Leak Detector Pricing
- Under $50:This price range includes mostly heated diode sensors with a decent sensitivity rating. The units are typically sold with their batteries, which can last for at least five hours before they drain. Also, you may find a good fluorescent dye that’s compatible with your AC unit within this price range.
- Over $100:在这个价格范围内，您可以获得额外的极端灵敏度，耐用的设计和长电池寿命。这里的单位是完全可充电的，并且在单元调整其灵敏度水平以找到最小泄漏的自动归零。但是，您应该确保您不购买具有快速耗尽电池的功能的复杂产品。
The sensitivity or accuracy of a detection instrument is its ability to locate the exact source of a halogenated refrigerant leak. Extreme sensitivity is used to detect small leaks, and detection tools with such a setting are capable of detecting all types of refrigerants you are working with. Typical sensitivity leak detectors are mostly used in household applications and can detect fewer halogenated refrigerants in comparison.
An automatic leak detector can detect a leak faster than any other method. However, different models have different response times. Some take three minutes to warm up and six minutes to find the leak. Some high-end models have impressive speeds and can locate the leak within seconds of being powered on.
- 保修单：Look for a gadget that includes a warranty and be aware of the length of the warranty. If it's a good deal, then choose that product; a good warranty is proof of quality. If it's not satisfactory, move on to another product.
The Inficon TEK-Mate is one of the most unique electrochemical sensors that can detect all types of refrigerants, including R22, R32, R507, CFCs, HFCs, and their blends. It features infrared sensor technology for accurate readings and operates on heated diode technology with a diode made of a ceramic substrate. Moreover, the gadget is fitted with a flexible probe for easy access to tight spaces. This gadget alerts you of any leaks with its visual and variable-intensity audible alarms.
It has an LED indicator that lights up when the unit detects a leak, and you can adjust the sensitivity of the gadget to find the exact leaking spot. It also has two sensitivity settings, low and high, and the LED light flashes faster when the gadget gets closer to the source of the leak. The unit runs on two rechargeable D alkaline batteries, and the sensor can run for 1,000 hours without draining the battery. This leak detector is ideal for small-scale and industrial use.
The unit runs on four AAA size batteries or a six-volt direct current and has a dial on the body that allows you to adjust the sensitivity rating. Once turned on, the unit beeps consistently at a rate of two beeps per second, and it increases the frequency to 10 beeps per second when it detects a leak. The unit has a maximum sensitivity of 0.2 ounces per year and is ideal for household applications or in a hospital setting to detect Ethylene Oxide gas leaks.
A major drawback of the product is that it has an average sensitivity level and may not be accurate at finding a small leak spot. It may also beep constantly when it gets close to the leaking point but may not zero in on the exact spot. In addition, the gadget isn’t very durable and may stop working after only two years. The unit doesn’t come with batteries.
Use this versatile detector to sense all refrigerants. It has many features that help you do the job. The eight-bar LED shows the strength of the leak. There’s an audible beep indicator, too, and you can set the detector’s sensitivity level (low, medium, high). The rechargeable battery holds a charge for as long as 15 hours so you can work almost two full working days without a recharge. You can replace the battery yourself if you need a new one. The unit also works off a wall receptacle or a vehicle charger.
The detector features either manual or auto zeroing. Auto zero works every two seconds until the leak activates the sensor. The hardshell carrying case is great to transport the detector and for storing it. The detector itself is ergonomic with attractive yellow and black colors.
- It’s not easy to replace the refrigerant fluid or stop a leak by yourself. You may need to hire a trained HVAC technician to repair the leak and add more refrigerant. You could use tape to temporarily stop the leak before the technician comes in.
- Automatic leak detectors may sound an unnecessary alarm if you are outside and the wind starts blowing. It may also sound off constantly if a room is saturated with the refrigerant and may take a while to detect the source of the leak.
- Apart from the smell of the refrigerant (a sweet chloroform scent in the air), you can identify a unit with a leaking refrigerant by placing your hand on the air conditioning unit when it's at a low-temperature setting. If the air feels warm, then you know that you have a leaking refrigerant.
A:A refrigerant's main purpose in your HVAC system is to remove heat from the air. When there are insufficient levels of the refrigerant, your air conditioner runs longer to compensate, uses up more energy, and the components may get damaged in the process. Also, large leaks could be an environmental hazard, and it’s unhealthy to inhale large amounts of the refrigerant compound.
A:The refrigerant comes pre-installed in the coils of your air conditioning system. The refrigerant could leak as a result of the normal wear of a system or a collision that results in damaged coils that leak the refrigerant. You should note that the air conditioner never uses the refrigerant, and it could circulate in the system for years if there's no leak.
Q: What type of refrigerants can be identified by an automatic leak detector?
compounds. Manufacturers always indicate on the packaging the type of refrigerants the unit can detect.
我们选择了Inficon TEK-Mate Refrigerant Leak Detectoras our top pick because it has a variety of user-friendly features, and its battery can withstand over 1,000 hours of use. It combines functionality with accuracy, and you don’t have to worry about buying a replacement sensor tip or batteries for a long time.
Our budget-friendly pick is theLotfancy制冷剂氟莱恩泄漏探测器. It offers real-time sensitivity readings and can tune itself to the most optimum state to detect a leak.