LAST UPDATED: August 25, 2019
Get a better view of blind spots when reversing your RV with these backup cameras
The Driveand its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.Read more.
PUBLISHED ON August 25, 2019
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of RV Backup Cameras
- 避开障碍物。Backup cameras reduce the possibility of accidents that can occur while you are backing up the driveway or on a campsite. Many people leave chairs and other personal items unattended at campsites, and children may also run around near your RV. A backup camera is an easy solution to avoid unnecessary accidents.
- Enhanced safety.The camera is not only good at helping you avoid obstacles when you are on a driveway. It also gives you a clear view of the vehicles behind you when you are on the highway. You only have to wire the camera to a constant power source like your RV’s fuse box, and it will constantly display live images of the traffic conditions throughout your trip.
- Park comfortably in reverse.倒车摄像头系统有停车网格线，让你知道你是否正确地在你的停车位对齐。你不必把你的身体向后或要求乘客引导你进入停车位。
- Law compliance.In 2014, the U.S. Department of Transportation decreed that every vehicle built as of 2014 should include a reverse camera for extra safety. If you have an older model, consider buying an aftermarket reverse camera to be compliant with the law and to avoid blind spots.
Digital wireless backup cameras use a wireless transmitter and receiver to transmit images from the RV backup camera to the monitor. The two devices communicate via electromagnetic transmission or wireless signals but have a shorter transmission distance in comparison to the wired alternatives. It’s easy to install the wireless camera as you only need to look for a mount or strong adhesive tape for the monitor and camera.
Furrion由一个美国的工程师、设计师和技术专家团队组成。公司在为特种车辆提供高质量消费电子产品和电器方面拥有超过10年的经验。其独特的工程能力导致其与多家财富500强公司的合作。其中一个最好的评级备份相机露营者是毛皮Vision S Backup Camera and Monitor.
eRapta专用的制造公司to the research of automotive safety and designs products aimed at reducing accidents on the road. The company has warehouses in the United States, Canada, and China. It also has over eight years of experience in manufacturing diversified road safety products, including car reversing camera kits, wireless rearview cameras, and car rearview cameras. Some of its best RV backup camera systems are theeRapta Reverse Camera with Split Screen Monitor以及eRapta Backup Camera and Monitor.
RV Backup Camera Pricing
- Under $100:Backup camera systems within this price range are usually quite easy to install. You will find wired and wireless types that can fit in almost all vehicles. However, you may have to buy a mounting bracket with some models. Some models have a wide viewing angle of over 120 degrees, and you should expect some convenience features such as motion sensor activation with the cheaper options.
- $100 to $200:在这个价格范围内的单位主要是高收入quality wireless camera systems with sleek designs and high-resolution images. Expect to find products with a wide viewing angle and a plethora of convenience features, including parking guidelines, infrared night vision capability, waterproof cameras, and a high transmission range.
- Over $200:价格不是决定屏幕大小的因素。一些高端机型的屏幕不到5英寸，但拥有最好的图像质量，可以稳定振动图像。它们在高速下也能很好地工作，并且几乎没有干扰，以便准确使用。
The viewing angle or field of view is determined by the quality of the camera and the size of your RV. You need a unit with a wide field of view that covers the entire area behind your RV and gives a perfect view of the blind spots on the side. Any unit with a viewing angle of more than 90 degrees will be ideal for most RVs.
The best cameras are resistant to extreme weather conditions such as heavy downpour, extreme heat, and snow. Waterproof cameras typically carry an IPx7 rating, showing that the unit can withstand being immersed 3.5 feet in water for 30 minutes. A unit with an IPx6 rating can withstand being hit by powerful jets of water from side to side. Such units are also freeze-proof even under temperatures of 59-degrees Fahrenheit.
Backup cameras use either a digital or analog signal to transmit and receive images. However, the signals are susceptible to interference from Bluetooth devices, Wi-Fi signals, wireless radios, and phones, among other devices. In the worst-case scenario, you may get images of backup cameras from other vehicles transmitted to your monitor. The best bet is to get a digital camera since it is less susceptible to interference.
- Night Vision:此功能主要适用于无线备份摄像头。具有夜视功能的装置通常意味着它将在夜间在监视器上产生高质量的图像。摄像机装有红外发光二极管，在黑暗中照亮物体。有线摄像头依靠您的尾灯在夜间显示物体。
- Monitor Quality:Most backup cameras are sold together with their monitors. The best monitor should display clear image quality and have at least a five-inch screen. Choose units with over 400 horizontal pixels. It’s also convenient if the monitor can double as an entertainment system.
Best RV Backup Camera Reviews & Recommendations 2020
The eRapta rearview visual-assist kit includes wireless remote control, installation cables, two side cameras, two rear cameras, and a seven-inch TFT LCD monitor with high-definition images of 720 pixels. The unit has a wealth of user-friendly features, including 18 infrared lights for the best night vision. In addition, the camera is made of weatherproof construction that resists damaged by water, snow, and hot temperatures.
The monitor has split-screen capabilities for extra safety and can display what’s behind and at the side of the trailer at the same time. You will have a better view of blind spots and an easier time when reversing or parking. The unit can be powered by a 12- to 24-volt power source to accommodate a wide range of vehicles, including RVs, 5th wheels, trucks, and commuter buses.
The LeeKooLuu wireless backup camera system features a 4.3-inch LCD monitor that offers an impressive image resolution of 960 by 576 pixels and a rearview camera with a wide viewing angle of 150 degrees. The monitor is capable of monitoring V1 and V2 video inputs for convenience when you want to switch from safety to entertainment. The camera is heavily guarded against water damage and has an IP69 waterproof grade. It features seven LED lights with an on/off adapter that will help you maneuver through the dark and in heavy-fog conditions.
毛皮is a 2.4-gigahertz digital wireless backup camera that operates at a range of 42 feet inside large vehicles and 492 feet in open space. It offers optional parking assistance with distance and rear assist grid lines. The feature can be turned on or off when necessary. The camera is rated at IP65 for waterproof capabilities and also resists damage by outside elements exposure. It offers a 120-degree-wide viewing angle inclusive of automatic motion detection and infrared night vision.
The monitor displays clear images at a resolution of 720 by 480 pixels. The screen has an anti-glare feature that adjusts the screen brightness based on the ambient conditions. It also runs on digital wireless technology and resists interferences coming from the environment. The package comes with mounts for the monitor, but it’s lightweight enough to be mounted on the windshield with adhesive tape. The Furrion camera can be used on RVs, commuter buses, tractors, semi-trailers, motorhomes, shuttle buses, and trucks.
However, the unit has some drawbacks, including its high price tag. For such an expensive unit, you would expect more accessories and a larger screen display, but that’s not the case with this model. Moreover, you may notice that its brightness level is lacking, especially when it’s sunny outside. Even it’s maximum brightness level may not be too helpful in such instances.
- Don't substitute the side mirror with the backup camera. Look over your shoulder and use the side mirror from time to time to ensure that you are getting the correct image from the camera.
- Since the camera will be exposed to outdoor elements such as dirt, grime, dust, and snow, ensure to constantly clean the lens to get a clear image. You can wet a dry cloth with an alcohol-based solution to clean the camera lens.
- Learning how to use the reverse camera is a gradual process that takes time. Practice using the device in your driveway before you take your RV on the road. Pair the unit with a blind spot mirror, and be sure to get a high-end reverse camera if you have never used one before for enhanced clarity and safety.
Q: Can I hook up the reverse camera to a monitor that's already built into my RV?
答：This is possible with a plug-and-play monitor that supports the video system coming in from the camera. With other incompatible models, you may have to tap into your vehicle’s circuitry system to connect both units. However, that's not a guarantee that both units will work flawlessly together as the video screen may "reject" the camera's program.
Q: Do backup cameras reduce accidents?
答：Yes, they do. They reduce injuries to children and pets caused by vehicles backing up, and they help you maintain a safe distance from the vehicles behind you in traffic. They also save you money in repairs for a damaged bumper.
Q: What do I do when my screen doesn't display images from the camera?
答：You can start by troubleshooting the wiring. Ensure that the monitor is well connected to the camera. If that doesn't work, the issue could be with a blown fuse on the camera. Refer to your manual to locate the fuse and see the steps on how to troubleshoot the problem.
We chose theeRapta Reverse Camera with Split Screen Monitoras our top pick due to its high camera quality and its dedicated monitor that displays clear images.
If you are tight for cash but need a quick and easy solution to reverse parking, you could go for theLeeKooLuu Backup Camera and Monitor.