Keep your vehicle’s engine going strong with these top spark plugs.
驱动器和它的合作伙伴可以获得commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.Read more.
PUBLISHED ON March 18, 2021
Every morning when you turn over your ignition, you are most likely not thinking about what is happening under the hood—it takes several functioning parts acting in conjunction with each other to get your vehicle’s motor running. Nonetheless, it is a small yet mighty device that starts to put everything into motion.
The spark plug is a powerful piece that delivers the electric current igniting the gasoline-powered internal-combustion engine. To get your car’s motor roaring and to keep it running smoothly will require well-fitting spark plugs. Find out which spark plugs are the very best to choose when it comes time to replace them.
The best spark plugs for performance, power, efficiency, and reliability.
- A good design that is unlikely to misfire or malfunction
- Superb performance and efficiency
- On the pricey side for a spark plug replacement
An affordable platinum spark plug that delivers great durability and performance for your dollar.
- Excellent price
- Durable, double platinum tip for enhanced performance
- Performance isn’t on par with iridium spark plugs
These plugs boost cold starts, enhance fuel ignition, and foster optimum performance, reliability, and heat transfer.
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Spark Plugs
- Improve performance.Spark plugs made of the chemical element iridium take less voltage to fire, providing several benefits. Iridium spark plugs allow for better combustion, lower emissions, improved fuel economy, and more horsepower.
- Increase fuel efficiency.如果您的发动机由Worn-Out Spark插头供电，则它不会按预期一起运行。使用一组新塞子更换这些故障插头时，发动机将平稳地运行，需要更少的努力来保持燃烧过程。这将转化为长期燃料效率提高。
- 更光滑的发动机闲置。When your spark plugs are functioning as they should, they provide adequate ignition to advance the combustion process in your vehicle’s motor. If the spark plugs are faulty, they will cause your engine to deliver a rougher than usual ride or idle. Replace older plugs with a set of new ones, and you may notice a difference in the smoothness of your car’s idle.
- Increase fuel economy.Each time a spark plug misfires, it can reduce your vehicle’s fuel efficiency by as much as a whopping 30 percent.
- Reduce the risk of damage to your engine and other components.Faulty spark plugs can cause misfires, poor fuel economy, lackluster acceleration, and other issues with your ignition system. Left unaddressed, malfunctioning plugs can also cause damage to other components such as your catalytic converter, so it’s vital that you immediately replace bad plugs.
铂金plugs deliver enhanced performance and fuel efficiency compared to copper plugs, but for a considerably cheaper price than iridium spark plugs. Much like iridium plugs, platinum spark plugs operate at a lower temperature than copper spark plugs. They can also last up to twice as long as basic copper plugs.
Founded in 1916, ACDelco is a Grand Blanc, Mich.-based automotive parts brand owned by General Motors. Offering everything from air conditioning components to batteries, ACDelco is perhaps best known for its line of spark plugs. One of its top products is theACDelco41-993 Professional Iridium Spark Plug.
罗伯特博世公司成立于1886年，是一家大型跨国工程和电子公司，总部位于德国斯图加特附近。博世制造的商品种类繁多，从家用电器到汽车零部件应有尽有。它最畅销的产品之一是博世6702 Platinum Spark Plug.
Operating from Nagoya, Japan, NGK Spark Plug Co., Ltd. is a public company tracing its roots back to 1936. NGK is best known for its range of spark plugs, though it also manufactures fine ceramics, cutting tools, and more. One of this brand’s popular products is its6619铱IX火花塞.
Spark Plug Pricing
- Under $3:There are several spark plugs available in this value-priced range. Buyers must do their homework before purchasing cheaper spark plugs due to the vastly varying degree of quality.
- $10 and up:在此范围内定价的火花塞倾向于采用耐用的施工，使用优质材料，先进的电极设计和无与伦比的性能，效率和长寿。
When you’re shopping for spark plugs, it’s important to consider which material best suits your needs. Copper is ideal for older model vehicles that feature a low-voltage distributor-based ignition. Platinum and iridium are best suited for modern engines without distributors. Platinum delivers a great mix of economy, performance, and longevity. Iridium offers an even better mix but at a higher cost. In the end, always use the plug specified by your vehicle’s manufacturer.
A spark plug is specified as “hot” if it’s a better heat insulator, and it’s classified as “cold” if it can conduct more heat out of the tip and lower its temperature. Generally, manufacturers denote the heat range of a spark plug with a number, with some brands using ascending numbers for hotter plugs and others doing the opposite for colder spark plugs.
- User-Friendliness.Some spark plugs come “pre-gapped” right out of the box and do not require adjustment. These pre-gapped spark plugs are convenient and ideal for consumers looking for a plug-and-play style plug that doesn’t require fussing with a gap gauge and tool during installation. If you have some experience turning a wrench, this may not be a huge deal though.
NGK公司6619铱IX火花塞s snagged the top pick in our spark plug comparison because they offered the best mix of high-performance, fuel efficiency, durability, and dependability. Featuring an iridium construction, these high-quality spark plugs provide a longer lifespan than copper and platinum spark plugs.
Its ultra-fine electrode wire promises superior fuel efficiency as well as silky-smooth engine idle and response. You can also expect a healthy boost in power and torque, thanks to the optimal air-fuel mixture that these iridium spark plugs generate. It receives top marks for durability too, with such impressive features as metal plating to resist corrosion and seizing, as well as a long insulator nose to prevent fouling.
This OE replacement plug has a long lifespan and is very durable. The iridium firing pin is welded with a 360-degree continuous laser, and the copper core is designed to reduce fouling. The wire is ultra fine, and the nickel-plated shell prevents it from seizing. No gapping is required, and the plug has corrosion protection.
无论你是普通消费者,汽车husiast, professional racer, or even a rare driver, you need reliable spark plugs. The NGK platinum alloy spark plugs are made with advanced materials and cutting-edge technology to maximize engine power. The G-Power plugs package includes eight new pieces either for upgrading or replacing the spark plugs in your car engine's cylinders. The impeccable operating performance of the NGK spark plugs will keep your engine running smoothly.
Wherever you travel, and for whatever reason, you want to feel assured that your automobile engine is healthy and can take you to the places you want to go. You can feel comfortable and confident that your spark plugs will keep your engine going, ride after ride.
This plug is ideal for performance-driven vehicles as well as older vehicles that need conventional plugs. ACDelco boasts that these plugs can last up to 100,000 miles, depending on the application. The iridium tip minimizes spark erosion, and it's designed to prevent compression leakage. The plug also increases fuel efficiency because the spark gap stays nearly the same during its lifespan. The plugs come perfectly gapped for certain makes and models, such as Chevy and GM vehicles. You will notice a difference in startup and performance after you swap out your old plugs for these iridium plugs. They are a great value for the price and come from a company that is known for its quality products.
It’s hard to find any issues with these plugs. One downside is that the plugs may fall out of their packages during shipping, which may cause them to break. Also, while they work great on some vehicles, they're not designed to work on all makes and models.
This particular plug does feature a solid copper core. And while that may not be as appealing as those that feature rare metals, it has a distinct advantage in vehicles meant to use this kind of plug. The copper core and nickel-copper alloy electrode offer excellent heat control for superior performance and wear control. There’s no doubt that you will understand why they are found on most American vehicles from the factory when running them.
Here we have a plug designed to meet modern motorists' demands without taking them to the cleaners. This plug has a few design aspects that enhance startup and run quality and promote a longer lifespan than many others. They feature the durability necessary for running 100,000 miles and are backed by a five-year guarantee.
The most notable characteristic of the plug is that it uses a double-platinum layout to promote a long and healthy lifespan. This design offers much better resistance to wear and enhanced heat control that prevents fouling. One thing that really helps this plug performs is the necked-down center electrode. This feature enables the plug to fire much easier to aid in starting and acceleration.
The iridium helps this plug last far longer than platinum and copper plugs, but that’s no surprise. It’s the tapered electrode that helps this plug meet the demands of performance. The shape of the electrode makes for much easier startups and improvements in acceleration. You may also see some slight improvements in fuel economy as well because of the temperature control.
It might not be a surprise that Bosch is entering our list again with one of the longest living plugs out there. The double-platinum design helps these plugs last up to four times longer than conventional options. But we should say that Bosch has outdone themselves by ensuring everything will help it live nearly as long as the vehicle.
We’ll start by highlighting the essential details. Again, it uses a double-iridium design to maximize reliability, heat control, and wear resistance. But to aid in performance, an ultra-thin .6 millimeter tip is present. That tiny tip makes for a hotter yet easier ignition to boost performance. It’s got a ribbed insulator that helps to prevent misfires as well. And you can’t look past the nickel-plated shell, which offers total corrosion-resistant and anti-seize properties.
- As tempting as it is, don’t always purchase the least expensive option for spark plugs. The best-quality spark plugs are usually more expensive because they guarantee optimal fuel economy, engine performance, longevity, and reliability.
- Inspect your plugs to determine their condition. If the plugs look fine except for a red coating, this could be residual additives from poor-quality gas. Clean them off with a clean cloth and reinstall them. If the plug has black or heavy ash deposits around or on top of its center electrode, this means it must be replaced.
- Before you remove your old plugs, clean the cylinder head around your plugs with a compressed air can or gun. This will blow away any dirt or deposits that may have collected on this area. This is important because dirt can enter the cylinder bore and score the wall and wear the rings.
- Use an anti-seize compound to coat the spark plug thread. This will make it easier to remove the plug in the future without galling the threads in the cylinder head. If any of the anti-seize compound happens to get on the electrodes, wipe it off with a clean rag moistened with carburetor cleaner.
- Never use air tools to remove or install spark plugs in your vehicle. Always thread each spark plug by hand, and then use a proper socket and wrench to tighten the plugs according to factory specifications.
The life-span of spark plugs varies by both manufacturer and vehicle. Yet, the spark plugs in most vehicles sold on the market today should last for 100,000 or more miles. To ensure you do not go past your spark plugs interval, research the type of spark plugs to learn whether they are suitable for your vehicle. Keep in mind that the spark plugs in most performance and luxury models tend to have shorter intervals.
When your vehicle has a faulty spark plug, it can cause the check engine light to illuminate, signaling an issue. In some instances, the check engine light may even be flashing instead of a solid light. When the warning light appears, it is essential that you or a professional mechanic look into the cause.
You may notice the following symptoms if your spark plugs need to be replaced: hesitation or backfiring during acceleration, decreased acceleration, rough idle, spark plug wires charred on the end that goes onto the plugs, a significant drop in fuel economy, and difficulties starting your engine. If your ride doesn’t run as well as it usually does, and you suspect it’s attributed to bad spark plugs, inspect the plugs yourself or have a mechanic do it.
Q: Should I use hot or cold spark plugs?
Q: Do unopened spark plugs have a shelf life?